Jion Bunkai video

Hello pals.



Today I bring you my last project, a video I shot with my friend, karateka, producer, camera-man, director... that did not like the result and wishes to remain anonymous.

It is a one-shot bunkai where I try to show some ideas that can work with this wonderful kata (my tournament kata, by the way).

It did not quite show my ideas in the way I thought it would, but anyway it took many months to produce (people are busy) so I decided to nevertheless make it public.
It has grappling, striking and in-fighting so I guess it is quite varied.

Have fun!


Please, send me criticism that is constructive. I already see many things to improve. I firmly believe the ideas and techniques behind it are useful, but we showed them in a rushed and confusing manner. Sorry for that.





PS:
Don't forget to check my other bunkai in this blog:
Tekki/Naihanchi
Nijushiho
Uke ideas





PS2:
We made it to the front page!
Yuzenkai



@practicalkarateagain in Facebook
@josep_cla in Instagram
josep_cla@hotmail.com
http://japan-karate.com/china.html



















Comments

  1. Hi Josep,

    I don't think the format is that confusing, the idea is pretty straightforward, switching back and forth between demonstration and applications. The core concept is good!

    A few of the applications demos I found a little hard to relate to the kata, i.e. they could have done with maybe a slower demo first (showing how they occur or relate to the kata) and then the more realistic fast one. The third application I think needs a slight pause before the application is carried out, to give the viewer a chance to get their bearings - I feel like I missed the start of it.

    Regarding content itself, some of the applications I liked, some I didn't - which is good! Shows we are all individuals with our own priorities and we should never stop learning. I hope to never find something I agree with too much, or I will have to do some serious soul-searching.

    Well done for putting this out - many are willing to be keyboard warriors, and few are willing to show what they have actually got.

    Regards,
    Diarmuid
    Oss.

    P.S. the 'notify me' button seems to not be working, even though I am signed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to write such a long comment. I truly appreciate.
      It was all shot in one morning, with no preparation and no corrections, so yes, a bit "not so clear" sometimes.
      I am glad you liked part of it!

      Delete
    2. Your experience with hard fighting outside of karate competition (cage fighting?) comes through, and it is great. We should have a lot more of that in mind in karate training.

      Here is a video that take a similar core approach, you might have seen it. Obviously they spent a good bit of time on the editing. Also not perfect, and the applications are pressure-point oriented, but that is good knowledge to have to. The hammer and the knife are both useful weapons ;)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js-Fdj4zvNg

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A rainbow of choices

Saifa bunkai